Saturday, May 19, 2012

Field Trip to - King Gillette Ranch

 Yesterday, the whole third grade at my school took a marvelous field trip to King Gillette Ranch!  They told our class that we could go the day before we went.  That meant that we had to get all of the permission slips to our teacher the next day or we couldn't go on the field trip.  Successfully, everybody got there slips in except one person who was sick.  


I was so sad that I did not bring my camera to take pictures of the beautiful sights, but I felt sensational when Mrs. Yollis said that the class can use the pictures she took for our blogs!  I am giving all of the credit for the pictures to Mrs. Yollis, not myself. 



When we first got to King Gillette Ranch, we got to meet our great naturalist, Nick.  (A naturalist is a person who shows you or your group around and explains things if we have questions).  This is his  patch that makes him part of the staff. 





After the third grade got off of the buses, we were led to the "Big Backyard!" The big backyard is King Gillette Ranch because each one of us can go to our "Big Backyard" anytime we want for free!  In this photo, the naturalists, like Nick introduce themselves and tells us which naturalist we were getting for our class. 





Nick taught our group a lot about the Chumash Indians and how they lived.  Most of the women made baskets like the one above.  If you look carefully, the pattern is like stairs. 






One of the funnest things we did on the field trip was play Chumash instruments!   This is one of the instruments Nick pasted around in a circle.  It is a maraca filled with beans!  When the Chumash had their ceremonies, they would sing songs and play instruments like this. 



This is another instrument the Chumash used.  It is like drumsticks.    Your bang them together and makes a percussion noise.  





This instrument was probably the most relaxing.  It is a branch with little seeds.  When you turn the branch around, it sounds like rain pelting on the ground.  






This is a photo of Mrs. Yollis spinning the "bull roar."  
The bull roar looks like a book mark tied with a long string at the end.  You wrap the string around your hand and swing your arm in a circle.  When you have got the hang of it, it sounds like an airplane taking off. 




It was very fun taking nature walks or hikes in our "Big Backyard."    It was very calming walking threw the trail, although it was scary when I almost stepped on a beetle.  I know insects can't harm you, but I am still scared of them.





This tree is beautiful.  It grows pink, hairy flowers all over the place.  This tree has a funny name, the eucalyptus.  It is hard to say, and hard to spell. 






This tree was probably the most beautiful tree I saw at King Gillette Ranch.  The sad thing about the tree is that in a storm, a big branch plunged to the ground making a big gap in the trunk.  





This is a photograph of a great blue heron.  I truly admire the shape of the heron.  It is very astonishing.  On the right of the heron, there is its nest where it lives.  




Right before we were going to leave the spot we were in, Jakob spotted a white bird called the snowy egret.  I and other people thought it was a swan, but Nick said that it wasn't.






In this photo, Nick was teaching us about an owl.   I thought that an owl could spin its head 360 degrees, but it can only spin its head 270 degrees.  Did you know that?




This is a nice picture of the state senator with our naturalist, Nick, and our class.  I had a magnificent time and I hope I can visit the King Gillette Ranch again. 


Have you ever been to the King Gillette Ranch?
If so, what was your favorite part?
What was your favorite plant, animal, or tree?

13 comments:

  1. Dear Mia
    I read your post of your trip with interest, and one part that I made a connection with was about the blue heron. We have blue herons here on New Zealand. They first arrived here from Australia in the 1940s. I wonder if they were first blown here in a storm?

    Further down the West Coast from us, there is a heron sanctuary.
    White heron (known as kotuku in the Maori language) nest there. Sometimes we see a kotuku nesting in the trees by the river here in our town, and it seems special for it to be there.

    Thank you for sharing your magnificent trip to the ranch.

    Mrs McKenzie in B4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Mrs. McKenzie,

      Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog! I did not know that the blue heron is found in Australia, so thank you for teaching me that. The great blue heron is in the family of night herons, bitterns, and egrets just like the picture I have of a white egret. They spread around North America, Mexico, British Columbia, Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.

      I googled a picture of the white heron (kotuku), and I found that they are quite beautiful! They almost look like white egrets. Here is a link to a spectacular website about white herons.

      Sincerely,
      M♥a

      Delete
  2. Hi Mia,
    My name is Mrs. Thiessen and I teach third grade in Surrey, B.C.. My class and I have been learning from you and your classmates all year.
    I really appreciate that your blog post has such interesting vocabulary and included many details about the photos. It really helped me to connect to your writing!
    Although I've never been to the ranch, I was able to get a 'feel" for it.
    Thanks for your hard work,
    Mrs. Thiessen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Mrs. Thiessen,

      Thank you for leaving me a comment! I am very glad that you and your class are learning from my classmates and I. I am sure that all of us work very hard on our blogs so people can learn interesting facts from it.

      Thank you for complimenting me in such a nice way. I would have to credit Mrs. Yollis for teaching me my vocabulary and pushing my class to read as many books as we can.

      If you have a blog, please send me the link!

      Sincerely.
      M♥a

      Delete
  3. Sasha♥ ∱ ⅽ ⋹ ∟ ᷧ ࢨ ಡ ᪅ ᘙ Ṭ ᘨMay 21, 2012 at 11:47 AM

    Dear Mia,


    What a sensational post! I loved going on the field trip! I liked our tour guide Nick because we could call him pistachio man! I think that my favorite thing to do with the instruments was the bull roar! I think that my second favorite instrument was the clap sticks. I like them because you had to hit them really hard and it is fun right when you hit it! The bull roar is my first favorite because you got to swing it around and around, but while you were swinging it, the instrument made a sound!


    I also liked the hikes! My favorite tree was the eucalyptus tree from Australia because it had all of the pretty flowers on it! I also like all the acorns on the ground because I actually felt like I was one of the Chumash! I think that if I was a Chumash my name would be Naturelover because I love nature so much I could burst!


    If you were a Chumash what would your name be, and why?


    Sincerely,
    Sasha♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Sasha,

      Thank you for commenting on my blog! I agree that it was a sensational field trip. The clap sticks sound like drums because they hit together. Our naturalist Nick, gave me a very old pair of clap sticks, so when I hit it together, they SNAPPED IN HALF!

      I thought that the flowers on the eucalyptus tree were very pink and hairy. It looked like little cotton balls all stretched out that are pink. I also agree that when you do things like the Chumash Indians, you actually do fell like the Chumash.

      I think that my Chumash name would be Sunshine because I love to look at the sun right when I wake up.

      Your BFF,

      M♥A

      Delete
    2. Dear Mia,


      Thank you for commenting back to me. I remember when your clapper sticks snapped in half. With a clapper stick, I accidentally whacked Brenden in the head when I picked them up, and also I got the oldest maraca, and I started shaking it then the to just flew off! I would be really disappointed if I was a Chumash and I worked really hard on something, and then it just ripped apart.


      I love your Chumash name! Sunshine would be perfect for you, but you normally wake up at like 12:00 P.M. when you can! So sometimes it's already the afternoon when you wake up.

      I think it was funny that they tape the "Biggest Loser" at King Gillette Ranch. Especially, because it is one of my favorite shows! They were also filming a movie. Our tour guide said that the movie was "Ninja's".


      What is your favorite show?

      Sincerely,
      Sasha

      Delete
  4. Dear Mia,

    Wow what a wonderfully well written post about your field trip you had. I really loved all the photographs which you added to your post as it really made it feel like I was right there with you.

    I have never been to a ranch but come to think of it I really don't think we have a ranch here in Australia which you could visit.
    As we have many beautiful National Parks which you can visit.

    Thank you Mia for another awesome post!

    Take care,
    AA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ AA,

      Thank you for leaving me another fabulous comment! I felt that when I was learning so much about the Chumash Indians, I felt just like the Chumash Indians. Their custom is just so fascinating even though they lived about 9,000 years ago.

      There might be at least one ranch in Australia, but it's just not in your area. I think that about a lot of things, but then I realize that they could be anywhere in California.

      If you want to see very beautiful National Parks, I suggest go to Sarah's post about all of the National Parks she went to over Spring break like Death Valley, Lake Powell, Zion National Park, Bryce National Park and more.

      Sincerely,
      M♥a

      Delete
  5. Dear Mia,

    I had hoped to leave a comment earlier than this but I found my liking for long comments has completely filled the normal blog I have used. I have now set up a completely new blog for longer comments and will be moving all those old longer comments into but, guess what?

    You're extended comment is the very first to appear on my new blog. It has a photo and audio recording in it. Here is a link...

    http://rossmannellcomments.edublogs.org/2012/05/23/for-mia-her-visit-to-king-gillette-ranch/

    Keep blogging. :)

    @RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Mr. Mannell,

      Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog and an especially thank you for making an extended comment on your blog! I really appreciate it.

      Instead of leaving a long comment on my blog, I'm going to leave a comment on your extended comment.

      Thank you again!

      Sincerely,
      M♥a

      Delete
  6. Dear Mia,

    I think this post is extraordinary. My favorite part of the field trip was looking at the owl pellet (what the owl doesn't like in his or her food).

    My favorite plant that I saw were the oak trees I like looking at the acorns that had fallen off.

    What was your favorite insect that you saw there?

    Sincerely,
    Leila♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mia,

    My favorite thing about our field trip was our fantastic naturalist Nick. I liked it when he let us bring two acorns home, and told us many interesting facts about the living creatures.

    The thing I mostly liked was playing Indian Chief. First, Nick chose someone to try to catch the Indian Chief, and he chose a Indian Chief. The Indian Chief's job was to was to make up a thing like pat your legs and the spy had to try to find the Indian Chief, but the spy only has three guesses. I had so much fun.

    What was your favorite thing at King Gillete Ranch?

    Sincerely,
    Trey

    ReplyDelete