Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Happy 65th Birthday Deda!

                              
Custom Glitter Text
Two nights ago, my grandpa (deda), turned 65 and had an amazing birthday bash!  I love my deda with all of my heart and wished him the best birthday ever! 




This is a photograph of my wonderful deda at his birthday party.  It was so fun because you could dance, make speeches, and we had the best Russian food! 



Here is my amazing grandma (baba) who threw this sensational party.  I thought that it was very nice of her to throw this awesome party to celebrate his birthday. 



There were thirty six adults and two children (my brother and I).  It was really nice to be reintroduced to people I haven't seen since I was a little kid!  (Although, I got a lot of lipstick on my cheeks from all of the kissing!)


Whenever Russians have party's, we feast! As you can see in this photo, the table is packed with food and everybody gobbling up their dinner.  



This is my favorite Russian food of all, blinchike! 
(bleen-chick-ee)  A blinchike is pretty much a crape.  In this picture, on the side is caviare. I'm not a big fan of caviare, so sometimes I eat them plain, or for desert, I have them with strawberry jam or chocolate. Yum! :)



Since they didn't have all of the scrumptious toppings, I ate a plain one.  They are still good with nothing on them. 




This is my baba's good friend Luba. (loo-ba)
My baba lives in a town house and Luba lives in the same town house, and they are really close neighbors.  Luba makes the best blinchike I have ever tasted.  



The best part of party is that you get to spend time with the people you see a lot, and the people you don't see a lot.  All together, everybody had a fantastic time at the party and I hope we can have another one soon.



Have you had a big party recently? If so, tell me about it!
Does any of the food look familiar to you? Which ones?


11 comments:

  1. Hi Mia
    What a fabulous description of your party, and I learned a few things too! It was interesting to find out the Russian for Granny and Granddad and see what you would eat at a Russian celebration. Those blinchike look like our pancakes, which we eat on Shrove Tuesday.
    There are lots of parties going on all over Britain this weekend, as we celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. In our town, we are having a fancy dress parade, a disco, a talent show and there will be lots of people dressed up in red, white and blue! There is a special sports day, and a beacon will be lit on the top of the hill near our town. It all sounds very exciting!
    Wish your Deda a very happy birthday from England!
    Mrs M
    A Room with a View

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Mrs. Monaghan,

      Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog! I am glad that you learned a little bit of Russian from my post. I am thinking about asking my parents to teach me how to right Russian and make a post about it and teach the Russian basics like yes, no, thank you, hello, and goodbye.

      What is Shrove Tuesday? It sounds interesting because I love blinchike and I would definetely LOVE a day all about it! You are really lucky you guys in England have a lot of celebrations this weekend. What is the Queen's Diamond Jubilee? All of your activities sound so much fun, especially the fancy dress parade! It is funny that you will be wearing red, white, and blue because that is the United States of America's colors for the flag. What is a beacon? I think that all of the boys would enjoy the special sports day. I agree that it sounds very exciting!

      I hope you can tell me all about the events I asked questions about because now I am curious!

      Your blogging pal,
      M♥a

      Delete
    2. Hi Mia
      It's really great that you have visited our blog to see what we are up to! I will try to answer some of your questions.
      Shrove Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday, which in the Christian Calendar is the beginning of Lent. Traditionally people would fast during lent, so they would enjoy beautiful pancakes made with butter and milk and flour, and with sugar and sweet things on top. Then they would fast for 40 days, until Easter, when they celebrate Jesus' resurrection from the dead. We often make pancakes in school and eat them on this day, and learn about the traditions of the Christian faith (Middleham is a Church School).
      As to the diamond Jubilee... this weekend we celebrate 60 years since Queen Elizabeth II came to the throne. She is the second longest reigning monarch in English history (after Queen Victoria, who was on the throne for 63 years). Red, white and blue are the colours of our flag too - it is called the Union Flag (or Union Jack).
      Beacons are lit on hilltops throughout England to celebrate, they will be lit after 10pm and they light up in a chain - it starts in the north of the country, and each beacon can be seen from the next hilltop, so when they see it lit, they light the next one. In that way, the chain of beacons spreads all the way across the country. The last time beacons were lit was for the silver jubilee in 1977, so it doesn't happen often!!!
      I would be very interested in your Russian lessons! Do you learn any languages in your class?
      Mrs M
      A Room with a View

      Delete
    3. @ Mrs. Monaghan,

      Thank you for replying my reply! Now I understand Shrove Tuesday a lot better because you explained it to me. You are lucky that you get to make crapes at school, although, we get to make a big loaf of pumpkin bread for Thanksgiving.

      I can't believe Queen Elizabeth ll has been in throne for 60 years, and I couldn't imagine Queen Victoria in throne for 63 years! I wouldn't want to be queen because it would be too much work.

      I do agree that beacons are very rare considering that they were last lit in 1977!

      At our school, we don't learn any languages, but since the school year ends in seven days, we might get one for next year. (I hope!)

      Sincerely,
      M♥a

      Delete
  2. Wow Mia!! Great post! It sounds like you had an awesome time! What a great party and for such a cool Grandpa! I love getting together with family and friends like you did! I recently had a surprise 60th birthday party for my mom and she was really surprised!
    I am not too familiar with all the food you shared but I would love to try it sometime.
    Hope you have a great summer! Keep blogging! Great story!

    Mr. Catlett a Teacher from Bellevue, Nebraska

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Mr. Catlett,

      Thank you for leaving me a comment on my blog! I did have an extraordinary time at the party because I was sourounded by the people I am close to.

      Your mom must have been really suprised by the birthday party! One of my closest friends had a suprise party and it was really fun because she was so shocked when we all jumped out and said SURPRISE! She was so happy that she started to cry with tears of joy!

      Sincerely,
      M♥a

      Delete
  3. Dear Mia,

    I really enjoyed reading all about your very special birthday party you had for your special Deda. I love going to parties especially when it's with the people which are special to you.

    Last year we had a surprise birthday party for my mother in law. It was great for we danced,sung and ate so much.
    I enjoying giving parties but I have to say I really don't like to have a party for myself.

    Happy belated Birthday wish to your Deda from me.

    Keep blogging.
    From your friend down under,
    AA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mia,

    I can tell how much you love your deda and baba. The photos show me how special they are to you.

    Only last weekend I had something like a blinchike. A French friend was staying with us and made us a meal including crepes for dessert. I know why you like them. :)

    I haven't been to any big parties lately but, if I were to be invited to one around my town, I hope would be as successful as the party for your deda's 65th birthday. Perhaps I should start planning a big party for when I turn 60 in 2014.

    You have a wonderful family, Mia. :)

    @RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Mr. Mannell,


      Thank you for leaving me a comment on my blog! You are right, I do love my deda and baba very much and appreciate them as much as I can because they do so much for me.

      In France, blinchike (crepes) are very popular. When my baba was young, she took my mom to Paris. My mom didn't enjoy French food as much as my baba, so the only thing my mom ate was pasta and meatballs, and blinchike.

      It sure did take a long time to get it ready, but when we were done preparing, everybody chilled out and enjoyed the party. I think you should plan a party for your 60th birthday, but it is in two years, 2014.

      Your blogging buddy,
      M♥a

      Delete
  5. Dear Mia,

    What a fantastic party! Your Deda must have been overjoyed!

    I love all the photos you took! In addition, you did a wonderful job explaining the foods and adding a pronunciation key when needed. Excellent writing, Mia!

    The crepes (also spelled crêpe) looked delicious. I have eaten them with dessert toppings and also with meat and cheese inside. Did he have a birthday cake?

    You are so right about spending time with people you love. That's what makes life wonderful.

    What kind of music did they play? Did anyone have any fancy moves? The Twist? Disco?

    Your proud teacher,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Mrs. Yollis,

      Thank you for commenting on my blog! My Deda was very overjoyed by the party!

      Russian food is very hard to pronounce, and a lot of people have different accents, so a lot of people would say it wrong if I didn't put a pronunciation key. I think that they are very important in writing.

      When my papa (dad) goes to a Russian super market called Rasputin (Ras˚poot˚sin), for lunch, he buys crapes with meat. All you have to do is put them in a microwave and they are like heaven! :)

      At the restaurant, they did not play any of the music you suggested like the Twist, or Disco. Since it was a Russian restaurant, they had live performances with Russian music. It was good music if you could understand it, but if you couldn't, it would sound like gibberish.

      Sincerely,
      M♥a

      Delete